Hagley College Digital Citizenship Agreement
Digital citizenship encompasses digital: access, literacy, communication, security, etiquette, rights and responsibilities, commerce, health and wellness, and law.
Appropriate behaviour is grounded in the values of respectfulness, accountability, positively representing yourself and the college, honesty and fairness.
The term 'digital device' refers to all digital technologies including, but not limited to, computers, tablets, music devices, cell phones, cameras, USB drives. This digital device maybe owned and maintained by Hagley College or by the individual student or staff member of the college (Bring Your Own Device - BYOD)
I understand that this agreement applies to my use of any technology whilst enrolled at Hagley
I agree that:
- I am accountable for all my actions and communications and that I must not at any time use technology to upset, offend, harass, threaten, defame or in any way harm anyone or undertake any activity that may bring harm to individuals or Hagley College into disrepute.
- The College's computers are provided to students for educational use
- I will avoid any involvement with material or activities which could put at risk my own safety, or the safety, privacy, reputation or security of the school or other members of the school community.
- I will not allow anyone else to use my password nor will I use anyone else's.
- I will not misrepresent myself or others. I understand that I am responsible for actions undertaken in my name.
- I will not breach a person's right to privacy by recording, posting, publishing or releasing any personal information, including images or video without their express permission. This includes the use of social media sites.
- I will not plagiarise or pass off others work as my own. I will fully acknowledge the origin and ownership of materials I use as appropriate.
- I will not breach New Zealand Copyright law by downloading, copying, sharing, saving or distributing copyright material such as music, videos, games or programmes in any form.
- I will not save, copy or distribute illegal or non-educational material
- I will not make any attempt to get around or bypass security, monitoring and filtering that are in place at school.
- I will not access or attempt to access inappropriate or objectionable material or sites restricted for my age. If I accidentally access inappropriate material or receive inappropriate material, I will immediately inform Director of ICT or a member of the college's ICT Services team.
- The data held on any Digital Device that I use (college or personally owned) may be searched when requested by the Director of ICT.
- I am responsible for the security and safety of my own Digital Devices and the data that is kept on them.
- I am not allowed to use voice and sms (text) communications whilst in lessons. The use of my personal Digital Device may not be appropriate at certain times of the college day or in certain lessons. In this I will be guided by the teacher in charge of the lesson or the on-duty teacher.
I will respect all technology and systems and treat them with care. This includes:
- Not intentionally disrupting the smooth running of any school technology systems.
- Not tampering with school technology, nor attempting to gain unauthorised access to any technology or college ICT system.
- Fair use of the Internet service provided by the college and college owned Digital Devices
- Respecting the property of others.
- Reporting any breakages/damage to school or others' technology to the college ICT Services team or an appropriate teacher.
I understand that:
- The college will, wherever and whenever possible, filter and screen any inappropriate (including dangerous and illegal) material but I as the end user will need to exercise judgment in accessing only educationally appropriate materials.
- The college can at any time monitor my activities using digital technologies.
- Breaches or suspected breaches of the terms of this agreement will be investigated and may lead to disciplinary action.